Thursday, April 5, 2007

Boycott by Carl Kenney


Alert: It's time for a boycott

Devine's Restaurant & Sports Bar

904 W Main St
Durham, NC 27701-2025

(919) 682-0228


It all took me by surprise. On Sunday, April 1, 2007, I sat at the bar at Devine's, a restaurant on Main Street in Durham, NC. I frequent the restaurant at least twice a week. It's within walking distance from my loft at West Village, and the chicken wings often satisfy my need for nourishment after a long day of writing, counseling, teaching or preaching. I sat at the bar with a group of friends. We were discussing the need for prayer when I took a peek at a group of T-Shirts hanging on the wall behind the bar. I almost exploded out of my seat.

The T-Shirts were for sale. They read, "Duke Lacrosse, WITCHHUNT. There is no evidence." Don't get me wrong, I believe everyone has a right to freedom of speech. If that's how the owners of the restaurant feel about the case I support them for fighting for the cause of the day. What disturbed me was their willingness to not only support that perspective but to take things a step further by giving customers access to T-Shirts to be sold to support that agenda.


The next day I went to the restaurant to share my concerns. I informed them I wouldn't come back and that I planned to boycott the place "Fine with us," I was told. "There's nothing wrong with freedom of speech." She went on to tell me the T-Shirt has been there all along. In other words, what's the big deal? Get over it. You silly little boy.


I refuse to give money to an establishment that openly sides with what I consider to be a quick dash to judgment. Do I believe those Dukies are guilty-No, but I don't believe they're innocent. I'll continue to affirm the need for all of this to play itself out within the criminal justice system. I refuse to stand by and allow anyone to deny the rights of any woman to have her day in the court. I refuse to accept the power plays of those with deep pockets when juxtaposed against the poor and powerless.


I have no problem with the myriad of supporters of these boys labeled as victims. I'm even willing to accept Coach K's contention that the university should have done more to support the poor little boys when the word first broke that they were being accused of raping a whore of a woman. I have no problem with allowing the true sentiments of power brokers to unfold before our eyes. Bring it on! Bring it on. There ain't nothing wrong with a little freedom of speech to make the city go round.


With that said, let me say there is always two sides to every scandal. Those who support the rights of women to speak their truth need to stand up and shout. No whispering folks. Holla like you're tired of the crap that is creeping in our midst. Tell the folk at Devine's that we, the people who refuse to condone language that makes men accused of crimes victims before the court has ruled and women criminals when they lack resources to counter the claims of power players, will speak a different truth. We will not buy your chicken wings and drink your beer when you sale T-Shirts to promote that agenda.


Stand with me on this one. Call the management. Boycott the place. Spread the word. Tell the truth folks. Movements begin when people like you stand against injustice. We have the right to speak our truth. Speak it with me.


Carl W. Kenney II

Boycott by Carl Kenney

No comments: